Announcing ʿŌlelo’s 20th Annual Youth Xchange!
It’s time to “Empower Youth Voices” by entering Hawaiʿi’s largest statewide student video competition. Youth Xchange 2023 continues to encourage and expand student participation and impact so that Hawaiʻi’s young voices can be heard. A big mahalo to the educators who continue to encourage students to use this platform to speak up and speak out on issues of concern.
YXC 2023 Rules and Guidelines
Register as an Entrant
If you previously registered, it is not necessary to re-register. Once registered, complete the online Entry Form to upload entries by 11:59 p.m. HST on Tuesday, February 28, 2023.
This year’s general categories include:
- Mini Documentary: In-depth program of an event, issue, place, individual or group. (10 min. max.)
- Public Service Announcement (PSA): Informative but concise video about an issue. (30 sec. max., credits do not count as part of the 30 sec. message)
- Short: A creative look at an issue using comedy, drama, music, or a cultural setting. (5 min. max.)
- Junior Expert: Students K through Middle school with extensive video production skills can compete in this category that recognizes technical expertise using video. Youth Xchange winners who have won two or more times, students who have worked (for hire) professionally creating video, and/or students participating in or receiving help from other students in an advance video or digital media program must enter this category. (10 min. max.)
- Expert: High school and college students with extensive video production skills can compete in this category that recognizes technical expertise using video. Youth Xchange winners who have won two or more times, students who have worked (for hire) professionally creating video, and/or students participating in or receiving help from other students in an advance video or digital media program must enter this category. (10 min. max.)
In addition to the above, there are eight (8) sponsored categories as follows:
- A More Resilient and Sustainable Hawaiʿi, sponsored by Hawaiian Electric, Co. (30 sec. – 2 min. max)
- Food Systems and Access to Healthy Food, sponsored by Hawaiʿi Department of Health, Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion Division (1 min. – 2 min. max)
- Creating Peace, sponsored by Rotary Club of Honolulu (5 min. max)
- Forest Inspired, sponsored by Hawaiʿi Department of Land and Natural Resources, Division of Forestry & Wildlife (3 min. – 5 min. max)
- Pledge To Our Keiki, Taking Care Of Our Island Home, sponsored by Alaska Airlines and Kanu Hawaii (2 min. – 3 min. max)
- Prepare NOW – Talk Story: Share Na’auao… Wisdom!!, sponsored by Hawaiʿi Department of Health – Office of Public Health Preparedness (45 sec. – 90 sec. max)
- Traffic Safety, sponsored by the State of Hawaiʿi Department of Transportation (30 sec./60 sec./2 min.)
- World War II in Hawai’i, sponsored by Pacific Historic Parks, Honouliuli National Historic Site (10 min. max)
- World War II in Hawai’i instructional video (coming soon)
We look forward to cheering on Hawai’i’s youth in our 20th Annual Youth Xchange Video Competition! If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Congratulations to Norma Gonzales of Moanalua Elementary School for winning ʻŌlelo’s first annual Youth Xchange Media Teacher Award in 2022, powered by Alaska Airlines. Read what her students and the community at large had to say about her HERE.