‘Ōlelo Community Media has been empowering voices as O‘ahu’s free speech provider for more than thirty years. O‘ahu Free Speech is a free open mic service that records your message and shares it on cable and the internet to connect you with your community on issues of concern.
- Any O‘ahu resident can use it!
- Your recorded message will begin airing on our channels the week after submission
- Use television to get your message out to hundreds of thousands of cable viewers and on the internet
You can participate once a week and:
- Do it Yourself – Record yourself for up to 5 minutes with your own camera or phone and upload the footage anytime by clicking on the above button. See recording tips below.
- Request a Recording Session – Call us at (808) 237-2140 to schedule a recording session appointment during open hours at our Mapunapuna Media Center.
On the channels
- Individual Shorts – Each new message will begin airing as an independent short a few days after being recorded or uploaded and will continue to air for 30 days.
- Monthly Program – Each month’s messages will be assembled into a program premiering the first Wednesday of every month at 9:00 pm and rebroadcast on Sundays at 11 am, all on ʻŌLELO53.
Mahalo for exercising your right to free speech. We eagerly await your video message!
Tips for Recording Your Oʻahu Free Speech Message
- All perspectives are welcome, but please ensure your speech is not commercial, libelous, slanderous, obscene, or invades the privacy of a private citizen.
- If you do not have a video camera, use your mobile phone.
- To connect with your audience, look into the camera lens.
- No handheld shots. If you have a tripod, please use that. Or, try to position your phone on a shelf or a table so that you can shoot yourself hands free.
- Shoot in landscape orientation (horizontal frame), not portrait orientation (tall frame).
- Center yourself in the frame so that we can see your shoulders plus a little above the chest. Make sure to also have a little bit of space above your head.
- Shoot your video in an area that is quiet with no distracting noise.
- Shoot your video with a presentable background. The further you are away from elements in your background (i.e. a wall or a desk or a shelf), the more depth your image will have, and the better your video will look.
- Make sure your room is well lit and quiet.
- Be mindful of any backlighting such as sunlight through a window lighting your back. We won’t be able to see your face.
- Be comfortable as you will likely have to maintain your framing for the duration of your segment.
- Speak clearly in the direction of your microphone (if using a webcam, it’s usually near the computer’s built in camera). If the camera is a few feet away, be sure to project your voice.
- Practice. It will take a few times to get it right so give yourself some practice time,
Sincerity shows so just be yourself and share the message that’s most important to you. Your video will turn out great!