For over thirty years, ‘Ōlelo Community Media has been O’ahu’s facilitator of free speech. It is our mission, legacy and it is what we defend. The ability to speak openly and invite dialogue even in disagreement has been a hallmark of our nation. It is a freedom we cannot take for granted. ‘Ōlelo removes barriers to empower community voices.
O’ahu Free Speech is an ‘Ōlelo open mic service offered to all O’ahu residents without censorship. It is your opportunity to exercise your First Amendment right. Create a message up to five minutes in length about an issue important to you following the instructions below.
These are the ways you can get your voice heard:
- Record yourself with your own camera or phone and upload it anytime. See recording tips below.
- Request a 15–minute in person recording session on Mondays or Wednesdays from 3 PM to 5 PM.
- Call us at (808) 237-2140 to make an in-person appointment.
On the channels
- Individual Shorts – Each message will be aired as an independent short on the channels for 30 days. Messages recorded or uploaded by Thursday each week will begin airing on the following Tuesday. Each message will also be posted as an independent short on ‘Ōlelo’s social media page. Please include your handles on the different social media platforms so we may tag you once it is uploaded. Please share with these hashtags:
#oahufreespeech #olelocommunitymedia #olelo
- Monthly Program – Beginning November 1, 2020 all messages created each month will be collected in one program premiering on the First of every month at 8:00 am on ‘ŌLELO53. Re-airs will be scheduled on Wednesdays when time is available.
Mahalo for exercising your right to free speech. We eagerly await your video message!
Tips for Recording Your O’ahu Free Speech Message
- If you do not have a video camera, use your mobile phone.
- To connect with your audience, look into the camera lens.
- No handheld shots. If you have a tripod, please use that. Or, try to position your phone on a shelf or a table so that you can shoot yourself hands free.
- Shoot in landscape orientation (horizontal frame), not portrait orientation (tall frame).
- Center yourself in the frame so that we can see your shoulders plus a little above the chest. Make sure to also have a little bit of space above your head.
- Shoot your video in an area that is quiet with no distracting noise.
- Shoot your video with a presentable background. The further you are away from elements in your background (i.e. a wall or a desk or a shelf), the more depth your image will have, and the better your video will look.
- Make sure your room is well lit and quiet.
- Be mindful of any backlighting such as sunlight through a window lighting your back. We won’t be able to see your face.
- Be comfortable as you will likely have to maintain your framing for the duration of your segment.
- Speak clearly in the direction of your microphone (if using a webcam, it’s usually near the computer’s built in camera). If the camera is a few feet away, be sure to project your voice.
- Practice. It will take a few times to get it right so give yourself some practice time,
Sincerity shows so just be yourself and share the message that’s most important to you. Your video will turn out great!