For over thirty years, ‘Ōlelo Community Media has been O‘ahu’s facilitator of free speech. It is our mission, our legacy and it is what we defend. The ability to speak openly and invite dialogue even in disagreement has been a hallmark of our nation. It is a freedom we cannot take for granted. ‘Ōlelo removes barriers to empower community voices.
O‘ahu Free Speech is an open mic media service that records your message and shares it on cable television empowering you to connect with your community on issues, concerns, thoughts and announcements. This free service is provided every week by ‘Ōlelo Community Media. It is your opportunity to exercise your First Amendment right.
- Any O‘ahu resident can use it!
- Your recorded message will begin airing on our channels the following week after submission
- Use television to get your message out to hundreds of thousands of viewers who have cable TV
- Receive a video link that you can share online and on social media
These are the ways you can get your voice heard:
- Record yourself for up to 5 minutes with your own camera or phone and upload the footage anytime by clicking on the above button. See recording tips below.
- Request an in person recording session (a 15 minute session for an up to five minute message) on Mondays or Wednesdays from 3 PM to 5 PM.
- Call us at (808) 237-2140 to schedule your in-person appointment or to see if other recording times are available.
On the channels
- Individual Shorts – Each message will be aired as an independent short on the channels for 30 days. Messages recorded or uploaded by Thursday each week will begin airing on the following Tuesday.
- Monthly Program – All messages created each month will be collected in one program premiering on the First of every month at 8:00 am on ʻŌLELO53. Re-airs will be scheduled on Wednesdays when time is available.
Mahalo for exercising your right to free speech. We eagerly await your video message!
Tips for Recording Your Oʻahu Free Speech Message
- All perspectives are welcome, but please ensure your speech is not commercial, libelous, slanderous, obscene, or invades the privacy of a private citizen.
- If you do not have a video camera, use your mobile phone.
- To connect with your audience, look into the camera lens.
- No handheld shots. If you have a tripod, please use that. Or, try to position your phone on a shelf or a table so that you can shoot yourself hands free.
- Shoot in landscape orientation (horizontal frame), not portrait orientation (tall frame).
- Center yourself in the frame so that we can see your shoulders plus a little above the chest. Make sure to also have a little bit of space above your head.
- Shoot your video in an area that is quiet with no distracting noise.
- Shoot your video with a presentable background. The further you are away from elements in your background (i.e. a wall or a desk or a shelf), the more depth your image will have, and the better your video will look.
- Make sure your room is well lit and quiet.
- Be mindful of any backlighting such as sunlight through a window lighting your back. We won’t be able to see your face.
- Be comfortable as you will likely have to maintain your framing for the duration of your segment.
- Speak clearly in the direction of your microphone (if using a webcam, it’s usually near the computer’s built in camera). If the camera is a few feet away, be sure to project your voice.
- Practice. It will take a few times to get it right so give yourself some practice time,
Sincerity shows so just be yourself and share the message that’s most important to you. Your video will turn out great!