Congratulations to all the student participants in this year’s Youth Xchange Student Video Competition!
• CLICK HERE for the full list of Winners by category.
• CLICK HERE for the full list of Finalists by category.
• CLICK HERE to watch the Awards Banquet in its entirety.
As the State’s largest student video competition, Youth Xchange continues to expand its outreach to schools and impact on student participants. This year, we have received a record-breaking 983 entries from 100 schools representing 5 different islands. That is quite an accomplishment, but even more impressive was the breadth and depth of the messaging behind each entry and the sheer number of students who contributed to the contest. Mahalo, Educators and parents for continuing to encourage Hawai‘i’s youth to participate, and to the thousands of students who every year, use this competition to speak out on issues that impact their lives.
This year’s contest had the following general and expert categories:
- Mini Documentary: In-depth program of an event, issue, place, individual or group. (10 minute maximum)
- Public Service Announcement (PSA): A commercial length, informative but concise video about an issue. (30 second maximum, production credit or acknowledgement graphics do not count as part of the 30 second maximum)
- Short: A creative look at an issue using comedy, drama, music or a cultural setting. (5 minute maximum)
- Junior Expert: This category allows students K through Middle school with extensive video production skills to compete in a category that recognizes technical expertise using video. Youth Xchange winners who have won two or more times, students who have worked (for hire) professionally creating video, and/or students participating in or receiving help from other students in an advance video or digital media program must enter this category. (10 minute maximum)
- Expert: This category allows high school and college students with extensive video production skills to compete in a category that recognizes technical expertise using video. Youth Xchange winners who have won two or more times, students who have worked (for hire) professionally creating video, and/or students participating in or receiving help from other students in an advance video or digital media program must enter this category. (10 minute maximum)
In addition to the above five (5) general and expert categories, we are also pleased to have eleven (11) sponsored categories, as follows (click on hyperlinks to view flyers):
- Assessments – Setting Yourself Up for Success, sponsored by State of Hawaii DOE Strategy Innovation and Performance Office
- Creating Peace, sponsored by Rotary Club of Honolulu
- Fight the Bite, sponsored by Hawaii State Department of Health, Public Health Preparedness Branch
- Forest Health in Hawaii, sponsored by State of Hawaii DLNR Division of Forestry & Wildlife
- Me and the Law, sponsored by Hawaii State Bar Association
- No Vape, sponsored by Hawaii Public Health Institute
- Start Living Healthy, sponsored by State of Hawaii DOH Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion Division
- Storm Water Hero, sponsored by City & County of Honolulu Department of Facility Maintenance
- The Value of Water, sponsored by Honolulu Board of Water Supply
- Traffic Safety, sponsored by GEICO Hawaii and State of Hawaii DOH EMS & Injury Prevention System Branch
- Vote to Rise, sponsored by Council for Native Hawaiian Advancement
Get involved! Keep visiting this website for more information on our 2019 competition. Get involved! Empower Youth Voices!