Welcome to the official website of the 17th Annual Youth Xchange Student Video Competition! This year’s contest includes the following general and expert categories:
- Mini Documentary: In-depth program of an event, issue, place, individual or group. (10 minute maximum)
- Public Service Announcement (PSA): A commercial length, informative but concise video about an issue. (30 second maximum, production credit or acknowledgement graphics do not count as part of the 30 second maximum)
- Short: A creative look at an issue using comedy, drama, music or a cultural setting. (5 minute maximum)
- Junior Expert: This category allows students K through Middle school with extensive video production skills to compete in a category that recognizes technical expertise using video. Youth Xchange winners who have won two or more times, students who have worked (for hire) professionally creating video, and/or students participating in or receiving help from other students in an advance video or digital media program must enter this category. (10 minute maximum)
- Expert: This category allows high school and college students with extensive video production skills to compete in a category that recognizes technical expertise using video. Youth Xchange winners who have won two or more times, students who have worked (for hire) professionally creating video, and/or students participating in or receiving help from other students in an advance video or digital media program must enter this category. (10 minute maximum) [NOTE: the Magic of Community Engagement category is sponsoring an Expert division]
In addition to the above five (5) general and expert categories, we are also pleased to have thirteen (13) sponsored categories, as follows (click on hyperlinks to view flyers):
- 808 No Vape, sponsored by Hawaiʿi Public Health Institute and the Coalition for a Tobacco Free Hawaiʿi
- Clean Energy, sponsored by Hawaiian Electric
- Commit to Be Fit, sponsored by State of Hawaiʿi DOH Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion Division
- Creating Peace, sponsored by Rotary Club of Honolulu
- Family Emergency Preparedness – Prepare NOW, sponsored by Hawaiʿi DOH Office of Public Health Preparedness
- Forest Inspired, sponsored by the Hawaiʻi Department of Land and Natural Resources
- Free Speech, sponsored by ‘Ōlelo Community Media’s 30th Anniversary Team
- Jump Start Your Day with a Healthy Breakfast, sponsored by State of Hawaiʿi DOE and Hawaiʿi Appleseed Center for Law & Economic Justice
- Magic of Community Engagement, sponsored by Hawaiʿi DOE Community Engagement Branch. This category has a general AND expert contest.
- Maka‘ala Kākou: Safeguarding Our Schools, sponsored by DOE Communications Branch and DOE Safety and Security Branch
- Preventing Bullying – Together with Aloha, sponsored by DOE Office of Student Support Services
- Storm Drain Dumping – See It, Report It, sponsored by City & County of Honolulu Department of Facility Maintenance
- The Value of Water, sponsored by Honolulu Board of Water Supply
- Traffic Safety, sponsored by GEICO Hawaiʿi and State of Hawaiʿi DOH EMS & Injury Prevention System Branch
All entries must be uploaded to ‘Ōlelo’s OmniContest site by 11:59 p.m. HST on Friday, February 7, 2020.
Save the date!
The 17th Annual Youth Xchange Awards Banquet will be held on April 14, 2020.