Aloha and Happy Holidays to Hawaii’s finest Teachers/Educators and College/University Students!
‘Ōlelo is pleased to announce that the 2020 Youth Xchange Statewide Student Video Competition OmniContest site is live and ready for your use.
Teachers/Educators and College/University Students (ONLY), when you have a moment, please click on Olelo-2020YXC to register as a Primary Entrant. Once registered you may then complete the online Entry Form and Upload & Submit entries by 11:59 p.m. HST on Friday, February 14, 2020.
NOTE: The online process allows for a paperless workflow. Therefore, instead of having to print and sign the entry/cablecast release form, you need only acknowledge understanding of the release prior to submitting each entry. Also, it is important to note that the system will not allow you to submit an entry until it has created a compressed file for streaming and judging.
As a reminder, we have changed the submission deadline to 11:59pm HST on Friday, February 14, 2020.
A big mahalo to all our sponsors for making this annual competition possible, and mahalo to you for empowering your students to speak out on issues that affect them.
If you have questions, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Welcome to the official website of the 17th Annual Youth Xchange Student Video Competition! This year’s contest includes the following general and expert categories:
- Mini Documentary: In-depth program of an event, issue, place, individual or group. (10 minute maximum)
- Public Service Announcement (PSA): A commercial length, informative but concise video about an issue. (30 second maximum, production credit or acknowledgement graphics do not count as part of the 30 second maximum)
- Short: A creative look at an issue using comedy, drama, music or a cultural setting. (5 minute maximum)
- Junior Expert: This category allows students K through Middle school with extensive video production skills to compete in a category that recognizes technical expertise using video. Youth Xchange winners who have won two or more times, students who have worked (for hire) professionally creating video, and/or students participating in or receiving help from other students in an advance video or digital media program must enter this category. (10 minute maximum)
- Expert: This category allows high school and college students with extensive video production skills to compete in a category that recognizes technical expertise using video. Youth Xchange winners who have won two or more times, students who have worked (for hire) professionally creating video, and/or students participating in or receiving help from other students in an advance video or digital media program must enter this category. (10 minute maximum) [NOTE: the Magic of Community Engagement category is sponsoring an Expert division]
In addition to the above five (5) general and expert categories, we are also pleased to have thirteen (13) sponsored categories, as follows (click on hyperlinks to view flyers):
- 808 No Vape, sponsored by Hawaiʿi Public Health Institute and the Coalition for a Tobacco Free Hawaiʿi
- Clean Energy, sponsored by Hawaiian Electric
- Commit to Be Fit, sponsored by State of Hawaiʿi DOH Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion Division
- Creating Peace, sponsored by Rotary Club of Honolulu
- Family Emergency Preparedness – Prepare NOW, sponsored by Hawaiʿi DOH Office of Public Health Preparedness
- Forest Inspired, sponsored by the Hawaiʻi Department of Land and Natural Resources
- Free Speech, sponsored by ‘Ōlelo Community Media’s 30th Anniversary Team
- Jump Start Your Day with a Healthy Breakfast, sponsored by State of Hawaiʿi DOE and Hawaiʿi Appleseed Center for Law & Economic Justice
- Magic of Community Engagement, sponsored by Hawaiʿi DOE Community Engagement Branch. This category has a general AND expert contest.
- Maka‘ala Kākou: Safeguarding Our Schools, sponsored by DOE Communications Branch and DOE Safety and Security Branch
- Preventing Bullying – Together with Aloha, sponsored by DOE Office of Student Support Services
- Storm Drain Dumping – See It, Report It, sponsored by City & County of Honolulu Department of Facility Maintenance
- The Value of Water, sponsored by Honolulu Board of Water Supply
- Traffic Safety, sponsored by GEICO Hawaiʿi and State of Hawaiʿi DOH EMS & Injury Prevention System Branch
All entries must be uploaded to ‘Ōlelo’s OmniContest site by 11:59 p.m. HST on Friday, February 7, 2020.
Save the date!
The 17th Annual Youth Xchange Awards Banquet will be held on April 14, 2020.