Congratulations, students and teachers!
The Youth Xchange Statewide Student Video Competition is Hawai‘i’s premiere and only statewide youth video competition open to all ages (elementary, middle, high, and college). Youth Xchange empowers youth to identify and bring critical community issues to the forefront via un-editorialized video content. Students are able to compete in sponsored and general categories such as Mini Documentary, Public Service Announcement, and Short. The video competition culminates at the annual awards banquet celebrating the achievements of the talented students and teachers.
If you have questions, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check out our commemorative 2021 YXC program book:
Our 18th Annual Youth Xchange awards show will premiere on 4/28 on OLELO 53, our YouTube channel, our Facebook channel and (for the first time) on Twitch! Connect with us on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/olelomedia
To receive contest related announcements and updates or to inquire about becoming a school participant or a sponsor, please send us an email.
The 18th Annual Youth Xchange Student Video Competition includes the following general and expert categories:
- Mini Documentary: In-depth program of an event, issue, place, individual or group. (10 minutes maximum)
- Public Service Announcement (PSA): A commercial length, informative but concise video about an issue. (30 second maximum, production credit or acknowledgement graphics do not count as part of the 30 second maximum)
- Short: A creative look at an issue using comedy, drama, music, or a cultural setting. (5 minutes maximum)
- Junior Expert: This category allows students K through Middle school with extensive video production skills to compete in a category that recognizes technical expertise using video. Youth Xchange winners who have won two or more times, students who have worked (for hire) professionally creating video, and/or students participating in or receiving help from other students in an advance video or digital media program must enter this category. (10 minutes maximum)
- Expert: This category allows high school and college students with extensive video production skills to compete in a category that recognizes technical expertise using video. Youth Xchange winners who have won two or more times, students who have worked (for hire) professionally creating video, and/or students participating in or receiving help from other students in an advance video or digital media program must enter this category. (10 minutes maximum)
In addition to the above five (5) general and expert categories, we are also pleased to have sponsored categories, as follows (click on hyperlinks to view flyers):
- A More Resilient and Sustainable Hawai‘i, sponsored by Hawaiian Electric
- Coping with COVID, sponsored by Hawai‘i Department of Health – Office of Public Heath Preparedness
- Creating Peace, sponsored by Rotary Club of Honolulu
- Forest Inspired, sponsored by the Hawaiʻi Department of Land and Natural Resources
- Start Living Healthy, sponsored by the Hawaiʻi State Department of Health
- Storm Water Hero, sponsored by City & County of Honolulu Department of Facility Maintenance
- Substance Use Prevention, sponsored by Hawai‘i Department of Health – Alcohol and Drug Abuse Division
- 808 No Vape, sponsored by Hawai‘i Public Health Institute and the Coalition for a Tobacco Free Hawai‘i
- Prevent Bulling Together with Aloha, sponsored by Hawai‘i Department of Education
- Traffic Safety, sponsored by Hawai‘i DOH EMS & Injury Prevention Systems Branch and GEICO Hawai‘i
Mahalo to our 2021 Sponsors